Tuesday, January 13, 2009

What Are You Teaching Your Children?

I took part in a study session the other night that provided much more wisdom that I ever expected.

The study session was all women. All of us were not only daughters but also mothers.

We were told that at the end of the evening we would each be writing something that our own mothers had taught us.

We then went about our studying and learning.

As promised, about 20 minutes before the end of the session, we were asked to write a phrase that our mothers used during our growing up that really had impacted our lives.

We couldn’t write the actual lesson learned but needed to write the phrase that taught us the lesson.

There was no doubt what I would write. It was a phrase first introduced to me when I was about 22 and I’ve never forgotten it. I had a good friend who was planning a surprise party for her parent’s anniversary. She told me months in advance that she was making the party and told me she wanted me there to help her and support her.

Invitations went out and I did not receive an invitation. I was certain there must’ve been a mistake somewhere. I was really torn what to do. I saw a few choices:

I could go the party without an invitation.
I could call my friend and ask what happened that I didn’t get an invitation.
I could stay home since I didn’t get an invitation.

I really was troubled by what the right thing to do was. My mom finally said to me, “Would you rather go somewhere that you’re not wanted, or be missed from somewhere you’re not at?”

I really thought and thought about this phrase and in the end, ended up saying nothing and staying home.

Several weeks later my friend actually mentioned the party and thanked me for my early support and mentioned that she decided to not invite any of her own friends since the party was in honor of her parents. I was really glad I had made the choice that I made.

As we went around the room and each read our statements, I smiled at the many lessons that moms teach their kids, sometimes without even knowing the impact that the lesson will have on the child.

I’ve actually asked my own kids at this point in their lives, what phrase have I spoken to them that has impacted their lives. I was thrilled with their answers.

If your own children are old enough, ask them this question. Discover what lessons your children have learned from you.

Audrey :)
http://mytupperware.com/audreyoka

No comments: