Monday, November 24, 2008

Should You Stay Home with Your Children?

This question of staying home with children has been around for years and years. One side says you do your children a disservice by isolating them at home with you and the other side says you are selfish to go to work to earn money leaving your children with day care workers.

My daughter read something a week ago that still has her upset today. She was reading a message board and a woman bragged that she was a stay at home mom. She felt she was somehow better than others because she was home. She spoke of sacrifices she was making in order to be home and how selfless these actions were.

She then went on to say that her children were wearing shoes that were too small for them, as she couldn’t afford to buy them new shoes.

It was this sentence that upset my daughter. We both know people who have feet and or leg problems and shoes that are too small are a health hazard to children.

This is where staying home might not be the best choice for children. If you can only afford rice and you can’t afford shoes and clothing, then I’m just not sure I can agree you are doing a service to your children staying home and not earning a paycheck.

There are so many options. You can work part time. You can work a shift opposite the other parent. You can look into a daycare in your home, watching other children in addition to watching your own. Do you know someone in direct sales? Offer to sub sell for them. There is no cost to you and you can get a commission on all sales you generate.

There are just too many options to have your children not eating properly and not wearing shoes that fit.

Being home and bonding with your children is wonderful but not at the high price of potential medical danger to them and their bodies.

Audrey :)
http://mytupperware.com/audreyoka

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

one of my biggest pet peeves with people are when they think their way is the only way. I hate that! I have been very blessed to be able to stay at home until the kids were in school, but never have we let our children go hungry or wore clothing that would harm them like that. When we were really broke for a few years, I found typing jobs at home while the baby slept.

I have many full time working moms and am inspired at how they are able to juggle so much. I think as mothers and women, we need to build each other up and support each other, not create a divide. I am sorry for the closed minded SAHM that your daughter read about. :(

Anonymous said...

that should have said I have many full time working moms as friends LOL

sorry

susan1215 said...

I stay home with my kids and because we live on one income we don't go on many vacations or buy new cars and do have to watch our pennies but to me it's worth it to spend this time with my kids. I have a friend who is a Mom and works full time and she is happy doing that so I say women should do what makes them happy.

Shelly- Mom Files said...

I stay home with my kids and I have learned over the years how to make things work with just one paycheck. We live very simply so our "needs" are always met. Of course I do little money making ventures at home to sort of "help out". I don't complain (okay, not always!!) :-P