Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Your Kids Bedrooms

There are two very different philosophies when it comes to kid's bedrooms. Some parents believe that the room is the child's space and if they choose to mess it up, that's fine. Other parents believe that the room is in the parents home and therefore the parent will dictate how clean the room must be.

What is your philosophy? Are your kids allowed to keep a messy room? Are they allowed to eat in their rooms?

What kinds of rules do you impose when it comes to your kids bedrooms?

As you've read before, my two girls are very different. One of them has always taken pride in a clean bedroom. The other almost never cleans unless I tell her to.

Share your thoughts here.

Audrey :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. It will probably drive me nuts to see my kids bedrooms messy. I will probably say that have to clean once a week. That's what I did as a kid.

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

I am continually at my kids to clean up their room. And, yes they do sneak food to the room...it never ends in anything good. (spilled water, lost food)

Deb said...

The mess drives me crazy--but then of course, I'm not a neat freak myself by any means. I feel like I'm a hypocrite if I demand total order. I do draw the line at food in the room, though.

shunee said...

He only 3yr old right now. However, I believe when he's older he can decorate it to he's liking,but it has to be clean.

Suzanne said...

Oh my gosh, I love your questions. I let them loose in their bedrooms for awhile and when I get totally turned off..it's clean-up time. They dread these moments but then they say they love having their room clean and organized.

Heatherlyn said...

I think parents have an obligation to teach their children how to be neat and tidy. If the kids get used to things being organized then they will learn to expect it of themselves.

We try very hard to create places for things to go. I figure that if the kids know where things go then they can be expected to put them away.

They sometimes have to be told to reclean something up several times but they can actually do a good job of it.

Except we have one son who is organizationally challenged. He requires more guidance. And we are patient and consistent.

We don't allow food in the room. But it sometimes gets there. On occassion the kids have snuck up kitchen bowls and filled them with water. That's always fun to find. :)

Kelly said...

When my kids are a little older they will be allowed to keep their room in whatever state they want. When it finally drives them crazy they'll clean it up themselves. It sounds odd but I don't want to nag my kids over it.