Monday, July 14, 2008

Choosing A Name For Your Baby

I was involved in a discussion this past week about choosing a name for your baby. Names are chosen for many reasons. Some people choose to name their children based on ethnic origin. Some people choose to name their children based on deceased relatives. Still others choose to name their child after a favorite movie star, or rock star.

While a particular name might have worked for grandma who’s been gone 40 years now and lived to 99, how does the name fit into today’s society? Or while a particular name might be very popular in another country, is the name going to be an easy name for the child to carry into their first school classroom and then the business world?

When I chose names for my children, I asked many questions:

Was the name easy to pronounce?
Was the name spelled in a way that the child would not have to make corrections all through life?
What did the initials look like? Initials meant first and last, and first, middle and last.
Is the name unisex or can it clearly be known if the name is feminine or masculine?
How does the name sound? Too many syllables when combined with the last name? Too few syllables when combined with the last name?

Both of my kids went to school with children who were teased constantly because of their names. While teasing another child is not ok, it’s what other children do. Even well meaning teachers can sometimes say the wrong thing, thus hurting a child’s feelings over their name.

Living in California, both of my children have also gone to school with children who had first names that no one else could pronounce. Often, in school the other kids would rename the child with the hard to pronounce name. This was not done in unkindness, but rather to create a name that everyone could say.

Think ahead to the business world. Does your child have a name that will help or hurt them? I always found it uncomfortable to have to ask a caller to repeat or spell their name. I also always was sad when I called someone and knew I was probably mispronouncing their name. If I am asking the person to please pronounce or even re-pronounce their name, chances are, this happens regularly.

Before you choose a name for your unborn child, consider how this name will affect them for their entire life.

Audrey :)
http://mytupperware.com/audreyoka

1 comment:

CynthiaAvaDevta said...

Yes. Practical, sound, advice. We all can't be "Apples" and "Pilot Inspector's." People must put aside their egos and think of their little ones. I did want to give my daughter a "different" name, too...But after thinking it over, as you have here. I came to another conclusion and I'm happy I did!