Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Teens and Bulletin Boards

Both of my girls have always loved bulletin boards in their rooms. Bulletin boards allow you to change the room without having to repaint and without having to redo the room as your child goes the various phases of teen life.

There are so many themes a teenager can use on a bulletin board. Both of my kids collected quotes at one point. With multiple bulletin boards, teens can have a bulletin board with love quotes, a bulletin board with motivational quotes and even a bulletin board of quotes made by famous people.

Both of my kids also collected CD covers. How fun to put all of the CD covers on a bulletin board. When friends come over, the friends can see the CD covers and say “hey let’s listen to this”, referring to one of the CD covers.

One of my daughters used to go to the movies quite often. She saved all of her ticket stubs. Your teen can arrange movie ticket stubs on a bulletin board. She also had concert ticket stubs mixed in with her movie ticket stubs.

Many teens go through a phase of enjoying poetry. Poetry can be copied from a book, or written by your teen, or even written by a friend. Poetry can be on small sheets of paper, note cards, or even full sheets of paper.

Photos of teen idols are also very popular. I know there were times both of my kids would cut photos out of magazines of their favorite musicians.

Both of my kids also loved to exchange wallet sized photos with their friends. Both of my girls have created bulletin boards with photos of friends. As happens in the life of a teenager, sometimes two teens will have a falling out. Satisfaction could actually be found in removing a photo from the bulletin board. This is an action that hurts no one but allows the teen to express their own anger.

Bulletin boards are not just for girls. Many of my friends have teen boys and I’ve seen bulletin boards in their rooms also. Boys tend to put magazine photos on bulletins more than any other item. These photos are often of motorcycles, cars or the latest video game information.

When my younger daughter went to an out of state summer camp, she prepared a bulletin board here at home and packed it in her suitcase to take with her.

When my oldest daughter left for college, she brought lots of items to put on the large bulletin board that was already in place in her new dorm room. Even colleges know that teens love bulletin boards.

Next time your teen asks about redoing their room, suggest bulletin boards!

Audrey :)
http://mytupperware.com/audreyoka

3 comments:

Debbie said...

I love these ideas! They are so clever and fresh!

Vanessa said...

Great idea, I used to have a bulletin board, too!

Rachel said...

I love bulletin boards; there's on in my baby's room for pics.

Thanks for stopping by my page; glad to know my kid isn't the only one with gross bath-tub habits!

Have a great day.