Friday, July 10, 2009

Aloha Friday #8


Each Friday, Kahlani, over at http://www.islandlife808.com/ hosts a wonderful meme called Aloha Friday. It's the end of the week, a chance to relax and get ready for the weekend. To celebrate Aloha Friday, you ask a question and answer other questions.

My question for this week:

How have you instructed your children to deal with bullies? If your children are young or you don't have children, how did your parents teach you to deal with bullies?

For the most part, I'd like to see my kids ignore bullies. They tend to thrive on the negative attention. When you don't react and you don't give them the attention they often move on. What are your thoughts?

5 comments:

Liz Mays said...

Controversial subject but my son is a quiet child so we were always afraid he'd be picked on. He wasn't but our rule was that if a bully hit him, he had our permission to hit back. That would put an end to it.

Becca said...

Bullies are best ignored, but sometimes ignoring them doesn't stop them. I was bullied a few times in high school and we had to go to the assistant principal. She put a stop to it instantly!

Anonymous said...

to ignore them unless they're backed up against the wall, then come out swinging.

Erica said...

my mom never really taught me how to deal with bullies and luckily we haven't had to deal with any real problems aside from a couple kids making comments to my oldest but in those cases i just try to explain to her that as long as know one is causing physical harm to her to not even give other's the satisfaction of a reaction and to just excuse herself from the situation.

Heatherlyn said...

We haven't had to deal with it. Although I do encourage my kids to stand up for themselves and not let other kids walk all over them. They have the right to not be friends with someone overbearing.