Sunday, July 12, 2009

Making Necklaces From Fruit Seeds

I was flipping through a magazine while in the doctors waiting room the other day and I saw an idea I had never tried before.

The suggestion was to take seeds from melons, cantaloupes, honeydew and even watermelon and save them. Dry them out on a cooking sheet after removing all pulp. Then using fishing line and a smaller needle string the seeds to create a necklace.

When my girls were young we did use fishing line and inexpensive plastic beads, but never melon seeds.

Have you ever done this? Were you pleased with the necklaces? If you have not done this, do you think it's something you might try?

Audrey :)

6 comments:

Banteringblonde said...

hmmm sounds interesting but to be honest ... not really all that appealing. Maybe I'm just lazy but beads work good for me! lol

Heatherlyn said...

I have no idea what it would look like. But I think I would be a little icked out by the idea of wearing seeds around my neck. That may be hypocritical because rocks and noodles are OK but seeds ... I don't know. It might look cool. If you do it, you should post a picture of what it looks like. :)

Anonymous said...

I have to say I just stumbled across your blog and I love love love it!
Thanks for all the cool shares!
I ahve a web site for moms
and I would be very happy if you came to check us out.
http://www.chatterscene.com
I have my blog too but I am just learning to blog so it isnt to great as of yet but would love for ya to check it out too!
Again love your blog

Serendipityissweet said...

Interesting idea. It seems like it would be tough for young kids to work the needle through the seeds though. I can see this more as a natural decoration for a christmas tree or something than a necklace.

Kassandra Vaughn, CKO of ROI Coaching and author of CHOOSE YOU! said...

I love this idea! My 5 yr and 3 yr old will love it! I think we'll paint the seeds first.

Kassandra
http://staystrongnow.blogspot.com

Angela @ Nine More Months said...

What a cool idea!