Monday, December 21, 2009

Kids at Disneyland

I spent two days this past week at Disneyland. It really is interesting how very different children behave. Some kids were able to self entertain while waiting in line and other kids were terrors while waiting in line.

I was really impressed with the amount of kids who had Nintendo DS's and books to keep them occupied while they waited. Other kids were yelling, screaming, hitting each other and yes bumping into me at each turn.

When my kids were younger we tried to give them the tools to self entertain. Bumping into strangers and climbing where climbing isn't allowed just were not options. One woman got yelled at 3 times for allowing her child to climb on rocks in line at a ride.

If you've ever taken your kids to a place like Disneyland how do you help them pass the time while they wait in line?

Audrey :)

5 comments:

Nancy C said...

Oh, Lord. I don't want to buy my kids a DS, because I'm trying to avoid that whole plugged-in thing, and I know they would be bumping and whining fools, so essentially, I would not take them to Disney-anything for a good long time because I don't want other people to hate me.

That being said, they are only 4 and 1 1/2, so way too young for D-land anyway. :)

AudreyO said...

Nancy, that's interesting. We overheard a few people say that parents should consider keeping their kids at home until they reach a certain age. But really we saw 3 year olds and 10 year olds not behaving, so what would that magic age be?

Corrie Howe said...

My kids do well in lines at amusement parks. I don't know why. I do care MP3 players, books, hand held games, action figures, etc. when we travel, go to the doctor's office, have a lot of errand and shopping, etc.

Heatherlyn said...

We talk to them.

Our kids don't have anything like books or DSs to carry around with them. We just expect them to behave themselves. And they do. But we certainly don't ignore them. We talk to them while we are in line. :)

Traci said...

We have not braved Disney yet though we are considering it for next summer. We went to Seaworld and the kids did okay even though we did not think to bring anything for the line. I would probably bring a bag of snacks and small books when we do go.

Merry Christmas.
:-)