Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Other People's Children

I read an article today that really has me puzzled. The article was written by someone who believed that some times it's ok to discipline someone else's child. She gave the example of her own child. They were at the grocery store and her son was disrespectful to her. A stranger looked at her son and said "son you should not disrespect your mother."

The writer of this article believed it was completely ok for this stranger to offer his words to her son.

What I've done is if I see a mom struggling I might tell her that I like her sweatshirt or I like the kids shoes...something that gives her a few seconds to step away from the child throwing the temper tantrum. But I've never offered my own words to the child.

What do you think? Do you say something to other people's children? How do you feel about people saying something to your children?

Audrey :)

8 comments:

Heatherlyn said...

If my kids were out of line it wouldn't bother me if someone said something that wasn't rude but that was true to my child. Sometimes kids listen better to other people. It hasn't actually happened though as my kids are really pretty decent. However, I would feel very akward talking to someone's child who was a stranger. I don't hesitate too much to say something to a certain nephew of mine if he is in MY house. But that's about as far as I would go. I mostly just try to ignore rude children in public. I figure that the parents are embarassed enough already.

Traci said...

I don't know. In some ways, I think that the helpful gentleman actually undermined the mother. I know that it was well-intended but it may have demonstrated to the child that the mother was not in control and therefore aggravated the issue. Not having been there, I can't really say.

I don't know how I would feel in that moment. I think I would probably be more mortified than anything else. I know that I would never say anything like that to a stranger's child. I would only step in if they were doing something dangerous that might hurt themselves or my child.

To me rudeness, especially not directed towards me or my child, does not pass the threshold for me to speak to someone else's child in that matter.

Nancy C said...

I believe others should provide encouragement to mothers or distract kids that are on the verge...but he was trying to shame the mother, a bit, I think.

I don't think it would have helped me.

Liz Mays said...

I can't do that because it would really tick me off if somebody said something to my kids.

Corrie Howe said...

I admit, I'll say something to the kids in our church, but I've known most of them since birth. And mostly I do this when it involved someone getting heart and their parents aren't around

Unknown said...

I would be very upset if someone said something to my son. I'm very over protective so this would definetly make me mad. I've had this happen before with a man that had a terrible attitude and I quickly told him to direct anything he had to say to me and leave my child out of it!

Brittany said...

I don't think we should step in at all. Like you said to give a compliment or smile and ask if they need help loading or unloading but it is a parent and only the parents job to discipline unless at school or they have a babysitter!

Staci A said...

I would never comment on another child's behavior to the mom. Mostly because I know I would hate for someone to say it to me.

If I say anything, it's more of a word of comfort. We all have moments where our kids act up or melt down. Usually I just offer an understanding look or ignore it all together.