Friday, January 29, 2010

Muddy Kids

Nancy over at Away We Go wrote a great post about her son getting a bit muddy. She then offered a quote:

"Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being."
~ Kittie Franz

I wanted to share my comment to her with you:

Oh wow, I love the quote. There are times I've snapped at my kids and yes getting all muddy is one of the reasons. I can remember a few times snapping at preschool teachers for how filthy my kids were at pick up.

So, we decided my real problem was I didn't want the mud/dirt in the house, on the furniture and on the carpets for me to clean.

So...I always had a change of clothes and a plastic bag to put the dirty clothes in. We'd get home. They could take off the cleaner clothes without making a mess and I'd then do all the laundry. It was a win/win for all of us.

How do you handle kids covered in mud, dirt, finger paint, spaghetti sauce, etc?

Audrey :)

4 comments:

Heatherlyn said...

Dirty kids don't bother me much. It is a problem easily remedied. However, other things, such as kids who get in the car without their shoes on and I don't realize it until we are at our destination REALLY bother me. Or kids or are really REALLY REALLY slow in getting themselves ready and make everyone late (repeatedly) bother me. We all have our things that bother us. Messes are not one of mine. When they don't clean up their messes when I have asked them to and instead are goofing around, THAT botheres me. As parents, we sometimes have to be strict. But, I love my kids a lot. I don't lose my temper with them really because I know they are growing up fast. Of course, that doesn't mean I'm never unhappy with a situation and I will let them know that I'm not OK with certain behavior.

Liz Mays said...

I pretty much did the same thing you did. I tried to keep the mess outdoors!

Nancy C said...

Thanks for passing your comment along! It's a good one!

Corrie Howe said...

I handle it the same way. Anything I can do to keep things clean and organized, I'm a pre-planner.