Saturday, January 9, 2010

Volunteering with Your Teen Daughter – Quality Time Together

As some of you know, I write articles. I am not a writer. Not at all. But about 10 years ago, I was approached about turning some of my forum posts into short articles. What I found was that my life experiences were often helpful to other people. So...here's an article I submitted this past week:

Volunteering with Your Teen Daughter – Quality Time Together

Over the years, I have always looked for ways to spend quality time with both of my daughters. One idea that we love is non-profit.

There are so many ways to give to others and do it together. I’d like to share some of the ways we’ve given to non-profits while spending time together:

1. Animal shelters need volunteers. We have visited our local pound and taken dogs out for walks. What a win/win situation. The dog gets walked. We get exercise and we’re out together doing this.

2. We have a Reading for the Blind and Dyslexic here in my town. Most of what they offer are textbooks. One person reads the books while another person follows along and records. The center has a library right inside where students come and check out the recordings. So we know our efforts are helping our local community.

3. Feeding the homeless. We have a strong group here in town that gets together once a week at the shelter and feeds the homeless. We have a second group that meets once a month and hands out prepared meals right on the street. There is actually a doctor that volunteers with this group and treats those who need a doctor.

4. I have worked on mailings with both of my daughters for different non profits. Sometimes we meet at someone’s house and sometimes the mailing takes place in the non-profits office. Either way, we’re spending time together while helping the organization get their mailing out.

5. There are many organizations that ask for hand made items. We once spent an entire day crocheting small beanies for premature babies. It is a goal to be able to send out at least ten afghan squares per month to those who then assemble them and mail them out.

6. We belong to a congregation that hosts a non-profit day once a year. They offer many projects to choose from. We have always become involved either as members or leading a team if the need is there. This is something we plan for, for the entire year.

7. There are many groups that collect letters and cards to send our service men and women. Our service people love getting mail from home. Many of these men and women have not seen their families for many months. That friendly card or letter means the world to them.

Look in your own town. What non-profits exist? Where are volunteers needed? How can you and your teen daughter give to the community while spending time together? You’ll both walk away feeling great about your contributions.

Audrey :)

4 comments:

Nancy C said...

Thanks for the timely kick-in-the-rear to find these kind of options. :)

Heatherlyn said...

I would think that is one of the best ways to spend quality time with a child!

Liz Mays said...

Those are some really good ideas and not time intensive either, very doable! :)

Corrie Howe said...

I think this is the longest post I've read from you. I love the idea of reading for those who can't. My grandmother lost her sight and having audiobooks kept her mind sharp until the end.