Sunday, November 8, 2009

Last Names

Today, it's quite common for kids to have hyphenated last names. The child's last name is that of both their mother and their father.

It makes me wonder what will happen in the next generation. When two people marry, there will now be four last names to contend with.

What do you think of hyphenated last names? Do you have a hyphenated last name? If so, how does marriage affect that name?

When I got married I took on my husbands last name. It's hard to remember when I was known by any other name. My last name today has been mine more years than my maiden name.

What's your last name story?

Audrey :)

8 comments:

Heatherlyn said...

There could be good reasons for hyphenating a last name. But I think it really is easiest culturally to just take the paternal last name. I took my husband's. I still have my maiden last name as part of my name for legal purposes. I saw no reason to drop it. But it never comes up unless I am signing my full name.

Aimee said...

I like the tradional, easy method! I took my husband's last name when we were married. You pose a really interesting question though when it comes to hyphenated kids getting married. I had never thought about that before.

Serendipityissweet said...

I think the traditional method is easiest. I took my husband's last name and actually kept my middle name (which was my paternal grandmother's maiden name) to keep it in the family because there were no other Bliss's left and I was the only one who even had the middle name. Plus, my maiden name was german...10 letters...mostly consonants, lol. It was just easier.

Really, to me, it's who you are and not your name that really matters.

Veronica Lee said...

My own surname is Lee and hubby's "KEE" and I'm addressed as Mrs. Veronica Kee.

~ Noelle said...

i tried to get my maiden name as my middle name, but they said i would have to go to court over it.. so, i just took the hubby's and dropped my maiden name! :)

Becca said...

Interesting question about if 2 hyphenated people got married...I had never thought of that before!!!!

Dr.John said...

Perhaps in the future they will toss a coin to see which last name will be used.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

I was happy to take my husband's name, but I know plenty of friends who hyphenated. I also know a couple who combined their last names into a new name with no hyphen--for both the husband and wife. It works for them, but they both had short last names to begin with.