Sunday, November 29, 2009

Kids in Crowded Places

My daughter loves Black Friday. She plans for weeks where we'll go and what bargains we'll shop for. Most years, it really is a lot of fun. This year we began our day at Old Navy. While shopping, an employee was holding a crying child (guessing her age to be 5 or 6) and yelling into her walkie talkie "code Adam, turn off the music, I repeat, code Adam" The little girl had been separated from her mother in this very crowded store.

This leads me to a question for all of you. How do YOU keep your children at your side while in any crowded place? When my kids were young enough I always had strollers. Once kids are out of strollers, it's so easy for them to wander off. What do YOU do?

Audrey :)

8 comments:

Corrie Howe said...

Stollers, carts, an older sibling in charge...of leave them at home.

I prefer the last.

Viv said...

You name it, we have it. We have a double stroller, a kiddie leash, and the method I employed on Friday..."do not, whatever you do, let go of my purse strap!"

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

I can tell you after raising mine which are now in their 20's...never let go of Mom's hand or leg! I can whistle really loudly & my kids, to this day, turn their heads and come when called!

HeartsMakeFamilies said...

I have to say I wouldn't even attempt it this year with Jason being so new to the family.

Kathy said...

We lost our daughter once and it was the most terrifying thing I have ever experienced. It was at a carnival yet. My husband and I were in separate food lines and she was standing between us. The next second I looked down and she was gone. The blood rushed from my head and I thought I would faint as we ran around calling her name. We found her after about 5 very long and horrifying minutes just standing a watching one of the rides in a crowd about 10 feet from us. My kids are all grown now, but if I had little kids they would be glued to me...hand in hand if I went anywhere!

Heatherlyn said...

Hold their hand, make them hold onto the cart, constantly (and I mean constantly) tell them to stay right by me. It's not much fun to shop with young children. I did a lot of online shopping when they were really little!

2Wired2Tired said...

How scary and sad. I'm sure everything worked out okay though.

I insist on holding my kids' hands if it is crowded and if it's really bad I will carry one while my husband puts the other on his shoulders.

Dayne Gingrich said...

Ohh... what a potential nightmare!

My little girl's only 10 mths., so it's all about the stroller or daddy's arms ;-)

Love your blog, and will definitely be following.

Thank you soo much for visiting CoachYourMInd... much appreciated!

Dayne