Monday, November 23, 2009

Losing a Pet


This past Saturday, we had to make the decision to put our dog to sleep. We adopted him when he was about 4 years old. We've had him 12 years. He was a large dog and so we know that 16 years is more than most could ever expect.

As the days have gone on, I continue to miss seeing him in the house, at the dinner table and by my bedroom door when I get up in the morning.

We received the most loving call from his vet. We put him to sleep over the weekend and so his vet only found out when she came in on Monday. Not only did she call but one of her partners who had seen him called also. Talk about caring. Wow!!

RIP my loyal companion.

Audrey :)

7 comments:

Heatherlyn said...

Pets fill a wonderful place emotionally and we do miss them when they are gone. I still miss the dog I grew up with and he died about 8 years ago.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear. RIP to your loyal companion. That is very neat that your vet called.

Liz Mays said...

I'm so sorry! I know how much you must miss him. :(

Alissa Grosso said...

My thoughts go out to you. It's sad that our furry friends are in our lives for such a short amount of time, but they do bring us a lot of joy in the time they are with us.

Corrie Howe said...

That is amazing that the vets called. I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure it will be difficult for awhile.

Anonymous said...

That is so hard. It broke my heart to put our dog to sleep but she was suffering so much. Our vet was wonderful and caring too.

Kathy said...

I just came back to read a little more of your blog this afternoon and saw this post. I am so sorry for your loss. We have always had pets and it is always so hard when you lose one of them. We lost 3 cats that I adored all within 2 years. It was devastating....and all 3 had to be put to sleep. It was something that had to be done, but, it doesn't make it any easier.

We have a darling little toy fox terrier that is almost 13 years old. I know that the life expectancy for her breed is 13-14 years and every time I think about it I want to cry. I can see her slowing down and doing strange little "old people" things, and I know one day "it" will get here. For now I just enjoy her each and every day.

It's nice that you had adopted. Two of our three are rescue dogs. One day when you have gone through your mourning process and feel better....maybe there will be another dog out there waiting for you. :)